To educate you and give you some facts I just made another post for you. This time I’m talking about DJ equipment history in 20th century.
1800 – 1920
- Leon Scott invented the first device for recording sounds, but unfortunately it was without playback.
- The world’s very first DJ was Ray Newby – It was in 1906 and in that time he was only 16 years old.
- “live” broadcast became famous in 1910 and in 1920 people danced with jukebox music.
1930 – 1950
- Walter Winchell made the term called “disc jockey”.
- Jimmy Savile hosted the world first DJ Party in 1943 by playing jazz music.
- First discotheque was opened in France, 1947. This was the time when discos became popular in all over the Europe.
1960 – 1970
- Discotheques and nightclubs grew more and more in the Europe and US.
- Rudy Bozak’s famous CMA-10 Mixer was available on the market
- Beatmatching was popularized by F.Grasso in the Sanctuary nightclub (New York)
- Disco bible was published (songs listed by BPM)
- MTV was launched on the cable television
- House and electro music became very popular, it was promoted by DJ Larry Levan
- First Hip-Hop song reached to top 10 of “BillBoard Hot” – (We walk this way)
I think all our reader know what was popular in 1990 and I don’t need to point out the facts. Anyhow, I found two great music videos which suit perfectly into this post. Have nice listening!
Mark from Best DJ Software